FXUS64 KBMX 192349

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Birmingham AL
649 PM CDT Mon Mar 19 2018

For 00Z Aviation.



Confidence has increased in the potential for explosive supercell
thunderstorm development late this afternoon into tonight
especially along and north of a line from Tuscaloosa to Calera to
Wedowee. A dangerous environment will also be in place south of
this line, but initiation of storms and storm coverage is

Currently, surface winds have veered to the southwest across most
of the area following the passage of a warm front. Normally this
would yield lower dewpoints and overall moisture quality, but this
does not appear to be the case. Dewpoints are holding in the mid
to upper 60s upstream across MS. Moisture quality should not be an
issue as this event progresses.

This event will hinge on evolution of the surface to 850mb wind
fields in response to the approaching upper-level trough. We are
already seeing this response across the northern half of MS where
winds are south to southeast near Tupelo and Columbus. Hi-res
models appear to be getting a better handle on the mesoscale
features and are slowly trending more aggressive with surface
pressure troughing and backing of winds in the 23-03z time frame.
HRRR guidance suggests the potential for 0-1km shear to exceed
40kts. This amount of shear combined with SBCAPE of 2000-3000 J/kg,
supports a risk for a few long-track tornadoes. A violent tornado
cannot be ruled out. The best chance of these enhanced ingredients
coming together for long-track tornadoes appears to be from I-65
eastward and as far south as Shelby, Talladega, Clay, and Randolph

Balloon launches are planned for 330 PM, 6 PM, and 730 PM to sample
critical changes in the low-level wind environment.



00Z TAF Discussion.

Trend with this set of TAFs will be in a bit more optimistic
direction, as the higher coverage of convection thus far has
remained well to the north of central Alabama terminals. Will
maintain a VCTS for a couple of hours at most locations, although
it did push this back an hour or two from the previous forecast
(based on radar trends). Still quite a bit of uncertainty on how
far south the convection will get overnight. If radar trends over
the next couple hours show the storms eventually expanding in
area, then we can update the TAFs where necessary.

Winds will shift around to a more westerly direction overnight,
and start to increase and be more gusty after sunrise on Tuesday.
The models were giving me mixed signals on the development of
lower clouds after the rain/storm threat ends overnight. Given the
lack of clouds back to the west, I am inclined to believe the more
optimistic of the model solutions. But once the winds kick up
Tuesday, the cumulus field should start to fill in as well.




After some storms tonight, light showers are possible Tuesday,
before dry conditions arrive by Wednesday. RH values will be
elevated the next couple days. There are no fire weather




Back to Main Forecast Discussion Page